Manual-S is being required by many building programs and local codes these days. The problem is, it’s really hard to tell whether the installing contractor actually followed the guidelines or not. It’s not that it’s impossible to confirm. It just takes a good deal of time, as well as a solid understanding of the HVAC design process. To make things even more confusing, the most commonly accepted Manual-S document is way out of date.
Out With The Old
ACCA has what they call the “Manual-S Speedsheet,” to be used to assist contractors in following the Manual-S process. There’s only one problem. Their speedsheet doesn’t match the reality of how equipment selection is actually performed. ACCA knows this, which is why they’re working on updating Manual-S, and presumably their speedsheet.
In With The New!
Since HVAC design is a large part of what we teach here at Home Energy Partners, telling people that they have to keep using an antiquated form just doesn’t sit well. So, we’ve taken the ACCA Manual-S speedsheet and given it a facelift - updating it to match the equipment selection methodology we teach in our training classes.
In our re-design of the Manual-S Speedsheet, our main focus was to:
- Let the sheet do all of the “calculating” for the user. After all, that’s what spreadsheets do best, right?
- Set up some “validation rules” to dramatically reduce the chance that the wrong number will be entered.
- Set up some conditional formatting rules to provide the user with easy-to-spot “warning flags” when their inputs are inaccurate or the selected equipment is too small or too large.
- Make the “results” really easy to read, and easy to trust (because the form does all of the calculating).
Here’s what it has built-in that’s new-and-improved:
- You don’t have to interpolate capacity data based on your outdoor design temp. The sheet does it for you!
- If your OEM doesn’t provide you with performance data at 75 degrees dry bulb and 63 degrees wet bulb (many don’t), our sheet will automatically adjust the capacities for you, based on the BTU factor you get from the table’s footnotes.
- It has an excellent furnace sizing feedback tool.
- It has rules built-in that reduce the possibility of entering data into the wrong cell.
- It has a link at the top to the instructional video that explains how to fill out the form.
To get this new and improved Manual-S Speedsheet, purchase it here in our store. You can also customize it with your own logo!